About the Recipe
This is one of my favorite late spring/early summer recipes. The rhubarb goes right in the Mayernik Garden and the strawberries were picked at a local farm. These muffins are a great quick breakfast or an afternoon snack.
- 1 cup Non-Dairy Milk (I used Almond)
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 cups Finely Diced Fresh Rhubarb
- 1 cup Chopped Strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soad
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cardamom
- 3 tablespoons Rolled Oats (for topping)
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Sugar (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the non-dairy milk, vinegar, sugars, oil and vanilla, stirring until homogeneous.
- In another bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Mix in the rhubarb and strawberries into this dry mixture, tossing to coat the produce.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined. Distribute the batter evenly into the muffin tins and top them with a sprinkle of Coconut Sugar and oats.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove and let completely cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with some non-dairy butter or jam.