What is an antidepressant?
Antidepressants are substances that increase the activity of certain excitatory neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine, to mitigate the symptoms of depression.
Depression is a multifactorial mood disorder that appears as chronic sadness with little to no interest. It is broadly classified into the following categories:
- Major depressive disorder
- Persistent depressive disorder
- Disruptive mood regulation disorder
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
- Depressive disorder due to a medication
In the 1950s, the very first antidepressant was introduced by the name of iproniazid. Studies now suggest that disturbance in the levels of dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine, glutamate, and brain-derived neurotrophic factors can cause depression. It is also can also contribute to its cause as the neuronal networks involved in regulating the emotion might get retarded.
What are the herbal benefits of antidepressants
Antidepressants help ameliorate the chemical imbalance of the neurotransmitters in the CNS. They help with the symptoms of depressive disorders, including:
- Mood elevation
- Sleep improvement
- Concentration enhancement
- Relieve fatigue and exhaustion
- Prevent the risk of suicide