As many of you know, I am enrolled in the Academy of Culinary Nutrition with Meghan Telpher.
Meghan Telpner is a Toronto-based author, speaker, nutritionist, and founder of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. Her humorous, engaging and real approach to living a healthy and awesome life has garnered her a world-wide following and extensive media attention. Meghan’s Academy of Culinary Nutrition, is growing a global tribe of vibrant living advocates and her bestselling and award-winning book UnDiet: Eat Your Way to Vibrant Health and the follow-up The UnDiet Cookbook is creating a revolution in how people think about their health. With an equal passion for both vibrant living and good karma business, Meghan works with health focused independent practitioners and small businesses to find their unique voice in a crowded marketplace, stay ahead of the curve, cultivate community and convert passion into profitable conscious business. Get inspired at MeghanTelpner.com.
I am so excited that I get to share on of Meghan's recipes from her cookbook as part of her Virtual Book Tour. I prepped and styled the below recipe and I hope you get a chance to create this delicious dish for you and your family. It could be enjoyed as a side dish with dinner or a nice, nutrition dense lunch. It's quick and easy and you could add whatever toppings you'd like. My favorites were hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and dried coconut flakes.
If you make this, please leave a comment and let me know how you enjoyed it. I know Meghan would love the feedback also!
Dressed to the Nines Sweet Potato
Protein Powered (option)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 45–60 minutes
4 organic sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp avocado oil, coconut oil or organic ghee
1/2 red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
one 14 oz can organic beans of choice, drained and rinsed*
6 cups greens, trimmed and sliced into ribbons
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Make-Your-Own Sambal (page 206 in The UnDiet Cookbook), red pepper flakes, or your favorite hot sauce
- Hemp seeds (protein bonus)
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- Fresh sprouts
- Tempeh bits (prepared as with TLT Deluxe Sandwich, page 83 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
- Tahini Dressing (page 194 in The UnDiet Cookbook)
* Make it Protein-Powered!
Swap the beans for 1 lb pastured, organic protein of choice such as ground beef, chicken, or turkey. Cook the meat just until browned and then use in place of the beans.
Make It Like So
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and prick them in a few places with a fork (this gives them room to breathe as they bake). Place them on a baking sheet and bake until soft all the way through, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat the olive oil in a medium pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your greens (the heat will wilt them). Add your lemon juice, sambal, and sea salt to taste.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. To serve, slice each sweet potato through the middle and top with beans + greens mix and your optional add-ons.
Excerpted from The UnDiet Cookbook: 130 Gluten-Free Recipes for a Healthy and Awesome Life by Meghan Telpner. Copyright © 2015 Meghan Telpner. Photography Copyright © 2015 Maya Visnyei and Catherine Farquharson. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Ltd., a Penguin Random House Company. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Catherine Farquharson / Documentographer.com
Food Styling: Sara Kuntz