Nothing says summer like a good, old-fashioned BBQ. With Memorial Day quickly approaching, we figured it was time to jump on the summer recipe ideas bandwagon. Since you know we’ve made a mission out of going meatless, we knew it would be nearly impossible to celebrate May 28th’s National Burger Day without sharing some of our favorite meatless burger menu items. So, here you go, in no particular order:
1. The Black Bean Burger – Though you can find a ton of these available in your freezer section, there’s no harm in giving your own recipe a whirl. We have tried a modified (very loosely followed) version of these.
2. The Grilled Eggplant Burger – Even the biggest meat connoisseur in your life can be swayed by a delicious slice of eggplant. One of the most versatile veggies, and definitely a staple in our garden, we enjoy these because they go pretty well with just about anything you can imagine. Our favorite is roasted with a Greek sauce.
3. The Grilled Portobello Burger – Without a doubt, this is our favorite hamburger substitute. We could eat Portobello mushrooms every day. Every. Single. Day. So, when others are at a loss for dinner ideas and they toss a few burgers on the grill, this is what we toss on.
4. The Grilled Lentil Burger – Another twist on the Black Bean Burger, lentils are some of our favorite beans. They have a mild flavor, perfect for mixing with other flavorful ingredients.
5. The Grilled Pineapple Burger – Ok, this one isn’t a burger, but it sure is delicious. Simply thickly slice up some pineapple, sprinkle with cinnamon, and grill until the cinnamon crystallizes a bit. This is all the dessert you’ll need. You could also make it a meal with some regular burger fixings.
You could also check out http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/epic-veggie-burgers-to-throw-on-the-grill-now/ for some more meatless ideas. Even when taking the ham out of the burger, you can still grill and celebrate like a champ – we promise!